ECATS is now LIVE !!!.
The ECATS system went live this afternoon, Wednesday, July 17th. All our students have been migrated over to the new system. Ten WCS staff members are trained in the ECATS Special Education system and three WCS staff have been trained in the service documentation module. Over the next few weeks we will be assigning user codes to all staff so teachers and therapists and administrators can access the system. When that is complete, we will let everyone know how to access the system.
Future work regarding ECATS will involve training for all EC teachers, therapists and licensed staff prior to the beginning of school followed by the building of caseloads for individual staff members. There are some individual student situations that will need to be resolved through corrective action meetings and/or completed overall.
The ECATS system is VERY, VERY, VERY similar to EasyIEP. There are a number of very impressive improvements as well. It will not be too difficult for those familiar with EasyIEP to adapt to and quickly master ECATS.
Welcome to the WCS Exceptional Children Department
Welcome to the Watauga County Schools EC Department! Thank you for visiting our Watauga County Schools Exceptional Children (EC) Department webpage. It is our hope that you will explore and learn about all the wonderful programs and exciting things in place to support our students with disabilities. We have many helpful resources for both teachers and parents here as well.
The WCS EC Department will advocate for and support all students with disabilities to foster independence, self-advocacy and enable students to become contributing and productive citizens.
The WCS EC Department creates an inclusive, positive learning environment to develop productive citizens and life long learners.
To provide high quality educational services and opportunities for students with disabilities to build upon their strengths and improve in areas they find challenging.
We strive to have the best teachers, the best resources and best programs for our students. We continually reach out to our community partners and parents to strategically improve and expand our services for our students. Remember we are all in this together!
Watauga County Schools offers the full continuum of services in the least restrictive environment for all students with disabilities from PreK through high school.
- Our EC PreK program serves children in child care centers and NC PreK classes. We evaluate many children through our Transdisciplinary Play Based Assessment Center.
- Each of our K-8 schools provides services for students with mild disabilities in the regular classroom and/or through resource support.
- Hardin Park Elementary School has self-contained programs for students with moderate and severe disabilities and for children with Autism.
- The SOAR class at Blowing Rock Elementary School is a Day Treatment program provided through a cooperative agreement between WCS and Day Mark Recovery Services.
- Watauga High School provides co-taught classes, curriculum assistance, the Occupational Course of Study and a self-contained program for students with moderate/severe disabilities.
- Related services such as speech language, occupational and physical therapy are provided to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education.
We welcome your participation and support for our programs for students with disabilities. If you have any questions or would like more information about our program, please contact your child’s school or the EC Department at 828-264- 7190.