Watauga County Schools Thanks Our Community Partners!
You've likely seen a Mr. Potato Head toy at some point in your life. That potato head looks pretty lifeless without adding some embellishments from the accessory bag. He can't see or hear or be ready for the town until you add eyes and ears and feet. It takes all of the pieces working together to make him function.
Watauga County Schools is a lot like him. Our schools require teachers and students, cafeteria staff, custodians, bus drivers, maintenance workers, and administrative support to educate our students. All of the parts work together to create a cohesive school system. We try our best to develop and recognize excellence in all of them while providing a quality education for the students.
Throughout the year, we have special events which are well supported through donations of all kinds from our community business partners who are one more important part:
- New teachers receive wet-wipes and tissues to furnish their classrooms
- Students are welcomed back to school with new school supplies, new socks and shoes, and even new haircuts through the Back2School Festival
- Returning staff are welcomed back from the summer during convocation with breakfast treats and door prizes
- Our young spellers are celebrated at a reception and with prizes to recognize their achievemnts during the County Spelling Bee
- Teachers receive grants for innovative teaching ideas and programs through Watauga Education Foundation and Blue Ridge Electric
- Beginning teachers share fellowship and encouragement during two celebratory receptions each year
- Excellence in teaching is honored at a dinner reception with gift bags at the Teacher of the Year event in May
Watauga County Schools and its students benefit from our community in so many ways.
We are often contacted with generous offers of help. Businesses and citizens share their ideas, resources, time and wares in support of our school's function. For that, we are very grateful!
How can you support our schools?
- Volunteer to mentor and tutor
- provide gift and promotional items to recognize excellence
- provide items for classroom needs
- provide food items for receptions
- support the local organizations which provide grant funding through events like Pankcake Flip and Shooting Stars or through direct donation