Below is information about our WCS Autism Problem Solving Team:
1. Who is on the AU Team?
Our AU team for the 2020-21 school year is:
- Kate Younger (School Psychologist),
- Belen Ledezma (EC Teacher),
- Jodi Blackwell (EC Teacher),
- Mary Reeder (EC teacher at WHS)
- Vicky Bryan (EC Teacher)
- Tammy Whichard (EC Teacher),
- Casey Coffey (Speech Language Pathologist),
- Lisa Shaw (General Education Teacher),
- Bill Adams, (EC Behavioral Liaison)
- Lauren Carter (EC Behavioral Liaison)
- Mike Marcela (Exceptional Children's Director).
2. What trainings can the WCS AU Problem-Solving Team provide to WCS staff?
We have provided and can provide monthly professional development open to all WCS staff members on the following topics:
- The Incredible 5 Point Scale,
- Using visual schedules and work systems,
- Visual strategies in the classroom,
- Utilizing the "size of the problem" strategy,
- Zones of regulation,
- Transition for students with Autism,
- Emotional regulation strategies.
3. What activities have we done or can we do during this School year?
- We held a EC Parent Respite Night for students with ASD and volunteers,. Volunteers were WCS staff, peer helpers, and Appalachian State graduate students.
- In the past, we helped complete a study involving a nutritional survey for families with children on the spectrum in collaboration with Appalachian State University.
- WCS AU Problem Solving Team members regularly attended HANd committee meetings;
- We will hold EC Parent Nights with Autism-related topics.
- We provide Instructional Coaching to support students with Autism in regular and special education classrooms
- We provide supports and materials to general education teachers and therapists to help support students in their classroom/programs