We are so glad you are interested in the K-8 Watauga Virtual Academy for the 2021-2022 school year. Our WVA is not intended or designed to be a response to the pandemic. Instead it will be an opportunity for us to serve families who wish to receive the outstanding education that Watauga County Public Schools can provide but with greater flexibility in delivery. Please note that we expect that your child will remain enrolled for the year- however, if necessary, we will allow a transfer back to your district school at the end of the first semester.
- MONDAY, TUESDAY and THURSDAY will be synchronous days of instruction per week. Students will need to be logged in and actively participating in direct instruction with their teacher for a good portion of the day.. Our direct instruction will begin at 8:45 on each synchronous day. That time will stay constant even if the district is on a 1hr or 2hr delay. Our day will end at 2:30 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday even if the district is on an early release due to inclement weather.
- We will offer content classes but no exploratories or specials (music, art PE etc..)
- Wednesday and Friday will be asynchronous, meaning you and your child will set your schedule for that day so long as you are completing ALL the assignments for that day. We will also plan opportunities for students to come to a physical site to participate in additional experiences to support their learning and to help them avoid feeling "isolated". These might be science labs that they can come and do with a teacher, a meeting at the park for related lessons, or coming for an in-person small reading group. These activities will be optional and no children will be penalized if they choose not to or are unable to participate, in these optional Friday activities. These will begin in mid-September.
- At this time we will follow the same calendar as the other K-8 schools in Watauga County in terms of holidays, parent conference and scheduled early release etc...
- Parents will need to pick up and return materials for their children on Fridays at Watauga High School at the side bus entrance between 9:00 and 2:00 or 5:00-6:00.
- Students enrolled with us in the WVA are eligible to participate in sports or clubs at the school in the district they are domiciled within.
- SEESAW is our Learning Management System Platform for K-3 students and 4th thru 8th grade will use CANVAS.
- Parents will need to ensure that students have access to the internet that allows for downloads, uploads, videos and google meets.
- We will be working hard to develop the skills of self-advocacy, time management and digital citizenship in the students we serve. However, it will be necessary for families to have a plan for instructional support at home in order to maximize the effectiveness of this model.
I am honored to serve as the Director/Principal of WVA this year. We have an outstanding staff assigned solely to WVA, ready to work with you and your child to create a positive and productive school experience. I encourage you to reach out to me with any other questions you might have.